Yurts are a type of portable, round-shaped shelter used by nomads in Central Asia. Yurt is a type of temporary residence that can be set up anywhere and provide protection from sun or rain.
Yurt camping is one in which people use to construct their own yurts and camp outside in nature. The main feature of yurt camping is its affordability. Yurt camping is a better option for those who don’t want to spend too much money on accommodation but still need facilities and comfort like a hotel room.
Modern Yurt has all the facilities like bathroom, electricity, water, etc and they are a great way to spend time with nature. They are far better than setting your own tents which lack basic facilities.
You can watch night stars while laying down in yurt with your family and friends without sacrificing comfort and amenities.
Campgrounds and resorts across the U.S., as well as international locations such as Uganda’s Queen Elizabeth National Park, offer yurt accommodations – often with electric heaters for those who prefer it that way or even their own BBQs set up on-site!
Why is yurt camping a better option than a hotel room?
When you are on a trip, you have come to explore, not to sit and watch TV in a hotel room. Here are some of the reasons why yurt camping is better than staying at any hotel room:-
- Affordability – Many travellers find out that by staying in yurts rather than hotels, they can cut their rooming expense to half. .
- Friendly to Pets – Are you looking for a more affordable way to camp with your pets? Twenty-two Oregon State parks offer pet friendly yurt camping options that can accommodate dogs or cats along with their owners who want more flexibility regarding pet rules.
- Unique Amenities – Every yurt has a dome and during the day the sunlight falls through the dome making the interior of the yurt warm. During the night you can see stars twinkling through the dome and spend time stargazing with your family or your partner. They bring a sense of peace, safety and comfort. Due to this reason, yurt camping can be an excellent retreat centre.
- No restriction with Kids – You will probably worry about camping with kids outdoors due to lack of resources and comfort but yurt camping will solve all your problems. Kids will have a lot of free space to roam around or play football and have no restrictions like in hotel rooms. While kids are playing you can enjoy time with your wife in these yurts.
- Connect with Nature – The yurt is a harmonious and natural building that can be enjoyed for both comfort, entertainment value as well as scenic views. It provides the luxury of staying in a hotel with some extra magical qualities. Visitors will love hearing sounds from nature while they’re inside their cozy shelter during these cold winter nights!
What is the difference between a yurt and a tent?
When we think about luxury camping, our minds might wander to a cozy campsite with plenty of trees for shade and fire pits to cook over.
Yurts and bell tents are great ways to build a temporary shelter for camping outside. For most people, both of them are the same thing but in reality, they are so much different from one another.
Yurts originated thousands of years ago and are the most comfortable shelter when it comes to camping. Yurts require a flat surface to set up. The walls of yurts are made from a wooden lattice structure that supports the crown and roof. Since they use wooden walls, yurts are much sturdier than tents and hold well against winds. Yurt takes more time to set up as compared to tents.
Another difference between a yurt and a tent is that yurts are larger in size as compared to tents. So, there is plenty of room for everyone. They have more space to relax and can be used for events such as parties and receptions.
The design of a bell tent originated from tipis. Rather than using wooden poles to design the surface, they just have one metal pole in the center that is covered with canvas. Tents are quicker to assemble and dismantle than yurts. They are originally used in wars and unlike yurts do not require a flat surface to set up, making them more versatile.
What to Pack to stay in a yurt?
Yurts can be a great way to get out of the bustling city and enjoy nature. Many have gas or wood-burning stoves, beds (you may need to bring your own), kitchens with an oven where you could make yummy bread for dinner!
One thing that is important before booking a yurt is to make sure to read the full description of what is included in the package and what is not. Some of the yurts include amenities of a luxury hotel room while others are just barren.
Here are some of the things that you should pack while going yurt camping:-
- Space Saving Toilet Kits if yurts does not have a toilet
- First Aid Kits
- Games like monopoly or cards
- Warm Clothes and foods according to the number of days you are staying
- House shoes or slippers
- Propane gas or firewood for cooking
- Water cans for drinking or cooking
If you are bringing firewood and a bed of your own along with these things then pack all of them in a lightweight truck and you are good to go.
Where should I go for yurt camping ?
Yurt camping is becoming more popular among people who love traveling. Yurts are available on rent across countries like the USA and Canada. Some of the best yurt camping sites in the US are Georgia, California, Texas and Colorado, and more.
Apps like Airbnb, vrbo, or trip advisor have rental yurt listings on them. The average rating of yurts on these apps is 4.5 and per night rent ranges from 84$ to 250$.
Below is the list of top-rated yurt camping destinations. On these destinations, you will enjoy the most beautiful landscapes on earth while sipping coffee from your yurt
- Goblin Valley State Park in Utah
- Orca Island Cabins in Resurrection Bay in Alaska
- Torres Del Paine National Park in Chilean Patagonia
- Thula Thula Private Game Reserve in Zululand. South Africa
Yurt camping is a wonderful way to spend your holidays with your family and to reconnect with nature. Along with that many yurt rentals outdoor activities like hiking mountains, skiing, fat tire bike riding, etc. So, pack your bags and get ready for the adventure.